Oil plays such a huge role in our life, and we don't even realize it. One Sanskrit word associated with oil is snehan. Snehan also happens to mean love and compassion. Yes, you read that right too. There's a reason why oil is so important. Here are the many benefits of oil:
- it provides lubrication to our skin
- it provides lubrication to our joints
- it feeds the fat in our body that is needed to operate on a day to day basis
- it helps hydrate our cells
- it decreases the dry quality in our body that contributes to cracking joints and dry skin
- it helps our skin get that glow and glisten
The list literally goes on and on. You might be wondering why oil plays an important role in a detox and cleanse program. Well, it really is quite amazing. In a traditional Ayurvedic Pancha Karma, you are attempting to pull all of the toxins from all over your body back into your GI tract so that you are able to eliminate it through your natural eliminatory pathways. Think of these toxins as sticky and gooey--they're not going slide out of your little nooks and crannies so easily. With proper oileation and guidance from a practitioner, the oil helps to lubricate all of your channels so that the goop easily will slip and head back towards your GI tract. The beauty of oil.
Here are some healthy ways to incorporate oils into your day to day routine:
- Incorporate different oils into your diet to ensure you're getting a broad spectrum of fats--ghee, sunflower oil, avocado oil, etc.
- Give yourself a nice oil massage every day before you shower
- Lather your hair with some coconut oil or almond oil
- Consume extra ghee or flax oil capsules
Oil doesn't have to be the enemy. Think about all of the good it does for you next time you ask for something oil-free!
*To learn more about healthy ways to incorporate oils into your life, contact me! Be sure to seek proper guidance before starting any cleanse routine, and speak with your health care provider!